Saturday, July 7, 2012

What is this?

Sometimes I like to participate in this produce co-op thing called Bountiful Baskets. There isn't a branch of it here in northern Nevada, so I only do it when we know we're going to be in Salt Lake for the weekend. The great thing about the co-op is you have no idea what you're getting. You just show up and load a bunch of produce into your basket and take it home. 

A few weekends ago I got, in my basket, what appeared to be a honeydew. I mean, I was SURE it was a honeydew, it looked exactly like one. So I brought it home and I was like "Look, hubby, a honeydew!" and he was like "Oh yum! I love those." So we decided to cut into right away. 

Imagine my surprise (seriously, imagine) when I opened it up and it looked like a cantaloupe! I was seriously confused for like 30 seconds which, when you think about it, is actually quite a long time. 


So, it tasted like a mix between a cantaloupe and a honeydew. But what to call it?
Cante-do? Honey-loupe?
Turns out it is called a Temptation Melon (what a great name, right?) But it is not to be confused with the Galia, which is also a cantaloupe-honeydew cross, but has green innards, not orange ones. 


You've learned something new today. Don't you feel smarter?

No comments:

Post a Comment