Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Now STOP! Grammar Time!

Let’s talk about grammar, shall we?
I would like to say, before we begin, that I am not perfect and make mistakes even in my own writing. Also, I don’t follow all the rules of grammar because I think it makes for very boring writing and therefore very boring reading. So don’t judge.
Alright, that said:

Grammar is, actually, one of my favorite subjects.
“Why?” You may ask. Probably because I’m pretty good at it.
Again, you may ask “WHY??” Probably because I had an editor of a mother who treated me much like a document and edited every sentence that came out of my mouth. Ok, that might be a bit dramatic, but I do remember being corrected on what felt like everything. Some of my favorite examples:
Anyways is not a word
Often is pronounced off-en (this is a big one for her)
“Their” is not a suitable replacement for “his or her”
Sentences may not end in a preposition (i.e. Where are you at?)(also, why would you ever say that? The last word is completely unnecessary as well as incorrect)
The following are also not words: Ecscape, ecspecially, acrosst, athalete, ec cetera
Some linguists argue that words that are incorrect but commonly accepted (such as anyways) are actually acceptable in the language, because language is what people speak, not what the dictionary says. Others (myself included) argue that there is a certain way to introduce a word into a language, and modifying an already correct word into an incorrect word is not one of these ways.
So, who cares, right? Well, I do. And you should!! But, if you don’t, the fact of the matter is you probably won’t ever.




So why write about it? Because this is my blog and I have a voice that can be heard and you, as my reader, must listen by very virtue of the fact that you are still reading this!!
Also because I think these are funny:

And basically any others done by The Oatmeal.
Umm yeah, that’s all.

No comments:

Post a Comment