Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Nevada has Trees!

Andrew was pretty convinced that there are no trees in Nevada. Not ones that grow naturally, anyway.
The weather was so nice this weekend that we just had to get out of the house and prove him wrong. We hiked (tried to hike) to Lamoille Lake (pronounced luh-moy-ull lake) which is at the top of Lamoille Canyon (pronounce luh-moy-ull can-yun).
When we set out, we had dreams of swimming in Lamoille lake, but those died pretty quickly, you'll see why.

This is when we were all fresh, at the beginning of the hike. Before we new what we were in for. Look at those innocent smiles. So naive.


Andrew was like "Look at me, Ma! I go outside sometimes!" Though the pale skin on both of us would eventually reveal us for the hermits we are.

Then he was like "See ya!"

Then I was like "Look! A tree!! Treeeeeeee I love you tree."

And Andrew was like "Oh I love you too! Wait, tree? Treeeeeee!!"

Then we found this really cool spring bubbling up and I about froze my hand off feeling it.

And this is how much snow we had to deal with at the top. That is, it was EVERYWHERE. Annoying.  
       
At the beginning, we'd be hiking along and every once in a while we'd come to a patch of snow which was a little scary cause we were both wearing shorts and didn't want to fall in. At the top, there was no avoiding it. So we came up with the snow shoe stomp and I wish I could get the video from my iphone to upload to blogger so you could see it. Hence, I shall describe it:

When you are walking along in snow on a hill and you are terrified for your life or that you are going to go sliding down the slope and lose half the skin on your thighs to the evil snow monster, it is sometimes helpful to do the snow shoe stomp.
1. Throw caution to the wind
2. Take big steps
3. Dig your heels in
4. Let the rest (read: giant arm swings) come naturally

We never made it to the lake. We didn't even make it to the lower, Dollar lakes.

I was super cute the whole time, let me tell you. Not annoying at all. Nope

Ummm Nevada is pretty? Sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment